|The height difference between a man and the moon is like the energy density difference between nuclear and any carbon combustion.|
2) Nuclear fuel is around 2,000,000 times more energy dense than coal, oil, and biomass. This means the quantity of nuclear waste is super tiny for the super huge amount of energy it produces. 2,000,000 times is like the difference between the diameter of the moon compared to the height of an adult person.
3) It can be recycled, and actually produces energy while being recycled, instead of requiring energy to recycle! Bill Gates is even backing a company potentially doing this in a new way.
|The IFR- Integral Fast Reactor|
4) If recycled, the waste lifetime is reduced to around 300 years. This (both point 3 and 4) is possible using fast reactors, which have been demonstrated through over 400 reactor-years of operation.
5) In fact, a cool thing about radioactive elements in general is that they go away with time-- and the more radioactive they are, the quicker they go away. Some decay in a few seconds. A general rule of thumb is that after a few decades, the most dangerous elements are effectively gone.
6) You can easily detect even a single atom of radioactive material. You cannot detect arguably more dangerous pollutants such as mercury, lead, NOx or SO2 with near that kind of accuracy or ease-- elements that fossil fuel plants are putting out in significant quantities every minute of every day worldwide. These dangerous pollutants do not go away with time, worse, metals like mercury actually bio-accumulate.
|A geiger counter can detect your radiation! Yes, you are radioactive!|
8) Dry cask storage is one of the most robust structures made by man. It can survive being dropped from thousands of feet, direct impact from an airplane crash, or explosives!
|Medical isotopes are produced in reactors|
9) To that end, there has not been, in the history of worldwide commercial nuclear power, a known case of stolen commercially used nuclear fuel. It is too mixed up with different things and too difficult to handle to be very useful to anyone with bad intentions.
10) Even including the worst accidents in worldwide nuclear history, nuclear has the best safety record (deaths/yr) of any type of energy source, including wind, solar, natural gas, and coal. There have been no deaths in the history of U.S. commercial nuclear power due to exposure to nuclear waste.
Is it "waste" or "used" fuel with lots of value for society?